Sunday, September 12, 2010

Singin' with the students

I am standing in front of a class of second year undergraduate students, explaining something a little hard and boring, something that I quite can't remember now, when one of the bold students in the class raises her hand. " Yes Ray, what could be the problem?" She stands up, rolls her eyes in a way that suggests she is about to ask for a big favour. And then she yawns,  "Sir, I think we are having a hard time following and my friends here feel that we need a short break. Just to reorganise. Pleeeeeeaaaaaaase!"

Well, that is fine with me. In fact so fine because I was personally getting bored stiff by the non-responsive lot before me. So I suggest, "We shall have a short musical break. We are going to rewind on a short nursery song. I will drop the first line and you shall join me henceforth. Okay?!" They all agree. "Okay, lets go!"

"Doe, a deer, a female deer Ray, a drop of golden sun Me, a name I call myself Far, a long, long way to run Sew, a needle pulling thread La, a note to follow Sew Tea, a drink with jam and bread That will bring us back to Do (oh-oh-oh)..."


The whole class jumps in when I am singing "...a female deer..."  Even that quiet, shabby and very serious  boy from the rural environs, the one they call Professor, the guy who looks like he never went to nursery school and most likely never watched Sound of Music joins the fray. Someone starts whistling to the song as the kids go on and on neglecting my pleas of bringing the circus to a halt.

And then I hear foot steps. Not of one, but of a group of men. And most definitely one lady. I know who the lady is. She hates me. And I can hear the hatred in a very step she takes. The class breaks into a gravely silence when they see the head of department standing by the doorway. I can tell they are already feeling sorry for me when the whistling sound resumes, piercing into the thick mist of silence that had engulfed us.

What saves me from the impending disciplinary committee drama is the realisation that my phone alarm had gone off during my dream. I quickly jump out of bed to prepare myself for our church's trip to the Island of Koster in Sweden. I rarely wake up this early (6:00 am) on a Saturday. And I don't need an alarm to rise and shine!

Off to Sweden!

No comments:

Post a Comment